1/3 Photos of Down-Under Salmon With Citrus Saffron Sauce over Greens
Chef Kate's Note:
According to the Black Swan Winery, in Australian cuisine, seafood is a constant. Here, the saffron adds a bit of drama to this delicately sweet salmon, while the crunch of chopped nuts contrasts marvelously with the soft-cooked greens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Fish
- 2 (1/2 lb) salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon native australian fresh ginger, sliced thinly (or ginger available locally)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3/4 teaspoon australian mountain pepper (or Szechwan peppercorns, crushed)
For the Greens
- 1For the salmon:
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 3Sauté spring onions, garlic and ginger in olive oil on medium-high heat until soft. Add saffron and fruit juices, then cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- 4Add sugar and stir until the crystals dissolve.
- 5Place the salmon fillets in a shallow baking dish, skin side down.
- 6Pour the fruit juice mixture over the salmon.
- 7Sprinkle the Australian mountain pepper (or Szechwan peppercorns) on top, with a pinch of salt.
- 8Bake for 12 minutes.
- 9For the greens:
- 10Sauté the garlic for one minute on high heat.
- 11Add the greens (either Australian warrigal or American spinach) by handfuls.
- 12Sauté the greens for 8 minutes or until tender.
- 13Serve the salmon on a plate next to the cooked greens, and garnish the greens with chopped Bunya or Macadamia nuts.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Down-Under Salmon With Citrus Saffron Sauce over Greens
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.6
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 118.2 mg
- Sodium 273.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 49.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: