This is THE easiest and most delicious Aussie Meat Pie. My grandmother passed this recipe on from generations ago. It uses minimal ingredients and you WILL want more! Guaranteed!
- Preheat hot oven (200 degrees).
- Line a medium sized oven proof pie dish with 1 1/2 sheets of pastry and trim the edges. Make sure the pastry covers the base and up the sides of the dish.
- Cook mince and onion until mince is brown, season with salt and pepper.
- When meat is cooked, thicken with the Gravy mixture.
- Tip into prepared pie dish.
- Brush around edges with milk. Put the 1 1/2 on top of pie to seal. Trim edges and prick with a fork. Brush with beaten milk.
- Cook in a hot oven 15 minutes, then turn oven back to moderate (180 degrees) and cook a further 20 minutes.
- This pie is great served with mashed potato, peas and plenty of tomato sauce!
Talk about easy and delicious! This made a great "comfort food" meal with very little effort or mess. This was just enough for myself and two hungry men. I will double it if have more at my table. The finished product looks beautiful too. This would make great lunch box leftovers I think. I gave it 4 stars (which is still good in my book) because there is a little confusion in the directions. Down where it says to Brush with beaten milk, I assumed it meant egg since the ingredients call for a beaten egg but does not mention where to use it. I had to do an internet search to make the temperature conversions (not a problem - Dee-licious! is down under - I'm in Alaska) For any other Westerners wanting to make this yummy dish, 200 degrees = 400 farenheit or Gas mark 6 for Euro. 180 degrees = 350 farenheith or Gas mark 4.
This was FANTASTIC! by far the best pie I have ever had. Quick and easy, took the leftovers to work and they reheated beautifully. Made 4 large servings, and we didnt even need sauce! Thanks for posting
I made this my for son's Taste of Australia Party. Everyone loved it and told me I should have made more of them. Thanks Dee-licious. Bullwinkle