Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is out of "The Complete Family Cookbook". My family loves this dish in winter. It's great to take to pot luck dinners as well.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 60 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 turnip, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 8 small onions
- 3 slices bacon, trimmed and chopped
- 8 new baby potatoes, quartered
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Toss chicken in flour to coat. Shake off excess flour and reserve 1 tablespoon.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and cook chicken over a medium heat until chicken browned on all sides. Transfer to large casserole dish.
- Add garlic and reserved flour to pan and cook over a low heat for 1 minute.
- Combine stock and tomato puree. Remove pan from heat and gradually blend in stock mixture. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Pour over chicken in dish. Cover and bake chicken for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook turnips, carrots, and parsnip over a medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add onions and bacon to pan and cook for 4 - 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- Stir turnip, carrots, parsnips, onion mixture, potatoes; season with black pepper to taste. Add with parsley to chicken mixture and bake 40 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.