Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is out of "The Complete Family Cookbook". My family loves this dish in winter. It's great to take to pot luck dinners as well.
- 2 kg chicken pieces
- 44.37 ml seasoned flour
- 60 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 29.58 ml tomato puree
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 turnip, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 8 small onions
- 3 slice bacon, trimmed and chopped
- 8 new baby potatoes, quartered
- fresh ground black pepper
- 44.37 ml of finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Toss chicken in flour to coat. Shake off excess flour and reserve 1 tablespoon.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan and cook chicken over a medium heat until chicken browned on all sides. Transfer to large casserole dish.
- Add garlic and reserved flour to pan and cook over a low heat for 1 minute.
- Combine stock and tomato puree. Remove pan from heat and gradually blend in stock mixture. Cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Pour over chicken in dish. Cover and bake chicken for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and cook turnips, carrots, and parsnip over a medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside. Add onions and bacon to pan and cook for 4 - 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- Stir turnip, carrots, parsnips, onion mixture, potatoes; season with black pepper to taste. Add with parsley to chicken mixture and bake 40 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.