Fattoush is a classic Lebanese dish. It is often eaten by itself as a starter or light lunch. Saumac is an essential ingredient. It is a spice that is made from the dried, powdered berries of the sumac tree. It was my first time trying Saumac and I really enjoyed it, next time I would add one more teaspoon of the Saumac. This was used as a side salad for Shish Taouk Toum - Grilled / BBQ Chicken With Garlic Sauce . This recipe comes from a book called "The Lebanese Cookbook" by Hussien Dekmak
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cos lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 radishes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon spring onions or 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicums or 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 1 large flat bread, toasted and broken into pieces
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the garlic, parsley, sumac, bread, olive oil and salt to taste.
- Toss everything together and serve immediately.