Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great slice recipe using sultanas, almonds and glace cherries. You can make this gluten-free by using a home-made base to the slice )insteadof the purchased pastry) or by using a sheet of purchased gluten-free shortcrust pastry and use gluten-free flour in place of the 2tbs plain flour. Recipe uses Australian metric measures. 1 tablespoon =4 teaspoons
- 1 1⁄2 cups glace cherries (300 grams)
- 2 cups natural almonds (260g)
- 1 cup sultana (150g)
- 1 sheet frozen shortcrust pastry or 1 sheet frozen gluten-free shortcrust pastry
- 100 g butter
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup or 1⁄3 cup golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons plain flour or 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 80 g dark chocolate, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a 24cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Press in the thawed pastry, lifting the edges to form a 1cm rim. Prick the pastry base with a fork all over.
- Scatter the cherries and the almonds evenly over the pastry, Then fill the gaps with sultanas. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and syrup together. Allow to cool.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla and flouur into the cooled melted butter and syrup mixture.
- Pour this evenly over the pastry base and bake for approx 35 minutes, until the filling is set and firm to the touch.
- When cool, carefully slide onto a board & cut into rectangles.
- If desired decorate with melted chocolate by drizzling in lines over the top.