Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy slice from 'Super Food Ideas' July 2007. I haven't tried this slice yet- but plan to substitute the plain flour for a blended gluten-free flour to make this slice gluten-free diet suitable
- 375 g mixed dried fruit
- 125 g slivered almonds
- 200 g glace cherries, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour or 1⁄4 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 150 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200 g dark chocolate, use a good quality chocolate (check gluten-free if required for diet)
- Preheat oven to 170°C Grease a 3 cm deep, 18cm x 28 cm(base) slab pan. Line the pan with baking paper.
- Add the flour to a large mixing bowl, whisk to aerate.
- Add the combined dried fruit, almons and cherries. Stir.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and honey. Stir over a low heat. Cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes or until the butter melts. (this step can be done in the microwave if wished). Allow the butter to cool slightly.
- Add the butter mixture and the beaten egg to the fruit mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth over the surface.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside in the pan to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the cooled slice.
- Set the slice aside for 2 hours or until the chocolate has set.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before cutting and serving.
- Makes 32 pieces.