1/1 Photo of French Beef Casserole
2 hrs 10 mins
A yummy rich tasting casserole from kikkoman, easily done in the crockpot too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 kg beef, topside trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons kikkoman naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 200 g large flat mushrooms
- chopped parsley, and
- mashed potatoes, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180 deg. Celsius.
- 2Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the beef in batches and cook, stirring occasionally until browned on all sides. Set aside, and repeat the meat-browning process in 2 batches. Set aside each time.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, then add the remaining oil. Add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens.
- 5Add the wine, and stir the bottom of the dish well, making sure to dislodge any bits which may have cooked onto the bottom of the dish.
- 6Add the beef, tomato puree, stock, Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce, bay leaves and mushrooms. Cover and bake in oven for 1 ½ hours, or until beef is tender.
- 7Uncover, and cook for another 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- 8Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Serve casserole straight from the dish topped with the parsley.
- 9Serve mashed potatoes separately.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Beef Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.7
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 167.9 mg
- Sodium 958.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 62.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium beef broth