A yummy rich tasting casserole from kikkoman, easily done in the crockpot too!
Make and share this French Beef Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 kg beef, topside trimmed of fat, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons kikkoman naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 200 g large flat mushrooms
- chopped parsley, and
- mashed potatoes, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 deg. Celsius.
- Heat half the oil in a flameproof casserole over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef in batches and cook, stirring occasionally until browned on all sides. Set aside, and repeat the meat-browning process in 2 batches. Set aside each time.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add the remaining oil. Add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook until the onion softens.
- Add the wine, and stir the bottom of the dish well, making sure to dislodge any bits which may have cooked onto the bottom of the dish.
- Add the beef, tomato puree, stock, Kikkoman Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce, bay leaves and mushrooms. Cover and bake in oven for 1 ½ hours, or until beef is tender.
- Uncover, and cook for another 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Serve casserole straight from the dish topped with the parsley.
- Serve mashed potatoes separately.