1/1 Photo of Fresh Fruit Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Another recipe published by a favourite of mine " Jeremy Vincent ". This cake is a great way to use fresh fruit in your baking during the summer period when the fruit is cheap & plentiful . You can stay simple and use only one kind of fruit or mix different fruits together for a fruit salad effect. Before using the fruit in the batter it may be necessary to drain any excess juice from the fruit, before adding the fruit to the batter and also some fruits will benefit from a light sprinkling of lemon juice to stop browning while waiting to be incorporated into the the cake batter. Serve this cake accompanied with whipped cream or a scoop or two of vanilla ice-cream, adn I am sure you will love it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g butter
- 125 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups fresh fruit, chopped & peeled, if necessary, such as peaches, plums, apples, pears and drain excess juice from fr
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (especially if using peaches)
- butter, and breadcrumbs for preparing the tin
- 1PREHEAT the oven to 180°C.
- 2Butter a 23cm cake tin, preferably one with a removable base, and sprinkle with the dried breadcrumbs.
- 3Dust off excess crumbs and set tin aside.
- 4Cream the butter and sugar together, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition to incorporate the ingredients.
- 5Sift in the flour and baking powder together and with a wooden spoon mix the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture with the milk and vanilla paste (and almond extract if using), stirring only enough to incorporate.
- 6Spoon half the batter into the tin and carefully spoon in the fresh fruit on top of the batter. Then spoon the second half of the batter over the fruit. Don't worry if the batter does not completely cover the fruit. During the cooking process, it will spread and the fruit will be encased in the cake.
- 7Bake in a pre-heated 180C oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- 8Remove the cake from the oven and stand for 10 minutes before releasing the sides of the cake tin.
- 9Serve warm or at room temperature, dusted with icing sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Fruit Cake
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.9
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 138.2 mg
- Sodium 730.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla bean paste