melting pot's Note:
This takes only 8-10 minutes to cook, because it's in the microwave!!! Don't let that put you off, it's REALLY easy, I am the WORLD'S WORST at microwave cakes, but this one WORKED so I'm really happy - and it tastes great too! The original recipe called for sour cream but I substituted with non-fat yoghurt. And I added LSA (linseed-almond-sunflower) mix and wholewheat flour, but here I've written the recipe for using plain flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g butter or 100 g margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 150 g nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 5 prunes, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1Mix the almonds, walnuts, raisins, prunes, lemon rind, juices and oil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- 2Grease and line a square microwave-safe cake tin with baking paper.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- 4Stir in egg, yoghurt and vanilla until well combined.
- 5Sift together flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- 6Fold flour mixture lightly into butter mixture. Mixture will be firm.
- 7Fold fruit mixture inches.
- 8Spread cake into prepared cake tin, using the back of a spoon to smooth over.
- 9Cook at 600 watts (adjust according to your microwave e.g. for an 800 watt microwave, use 80 percent, for 1200 watts use 50%) for 7 minutes, until centre is just cooked. The centre should be damp on the surface and begin to shrink away from the sides of the dish. Test with a toothpick.
- 10If the cake isn't cooked yet, pop back in the microwave for another couple of minutes, but not too long.
- 11Leave in dishfor 5 minutes before turning out. The crust will be soft, so turn out onto a clean tea towel placed on a cooking rack.
- 12Ice with your regular icing, although I prefer it un-iced. But only because I'm not really an icing sort of person.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fruit and Nut Chocolate Slice
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.5
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.0 mg
- Sodium 379.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 37.2 g
- Protein 11.6 g