Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was torn from a magazine whilst watching my daughter in her swimming squad. I think it was a Womens Weekly and this was a reader's recipe. Makes 12. Ensure all ingredients used are gluten free.
- 125 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g butter, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk (125ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 2⁄3 cups almond meal (200 grams)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder, ensure gluten free
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (100 grams)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C if using fan forced oven. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Melt chocolate and butter, until smooth. Can use the microwave if wished. Cool.
- Stir in the egg yolks, then gradually add the milk and vanilla.
- In another large bowl- Combine the almond meal, sifted cocoa and baking powder, sugar and chocolate bits. Stir this mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer, until soft peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Dust with sifted cocoa or pure icing sugar, if desired.
- These cakes are suitable to freeze.