Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe was torn from a magazine whilst watching my daughter in her swimming squad. I think it was a Womens Weekly and this was a reader's recipe. Makes 12. Ensure all ingredients used are gluten free.
- 125 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g butter, chopped
- 4 eggs, separated
- 118.29 ml milk (125ml)
- 4.92 ml vanilla essence
- 395.10 ml almond meal (200 grams)
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml gluten free baking powder, ensure gluten free
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, firmly packed (100 grams)
- 118.29 ml chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C if using fan forced oven. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Melt chocolate and butter, until smooth. Can use the microwave if wished. Cool.
- Stir in the egg yolks, then gradually add the milk and vanilla.
- In another large bowl- Combine the almond meal, sifted cocoa and baking powder, sugar and chocolate bits. Stir this mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer, until soft peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Dust with sifted cocoa or pure icing sugar, if desired.
- These cakes are suitable to freeze.
Our family thought these were pretty good! Good rich chocolate flavor. We made them exactly like the recipe calls for. They don't raise much, if any, so fill the cups up almost all the way. Next time will try another GF flour to replace either part or all of the almond meal. It was slightly gritty in texture, but still tasty!