Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my favourite mashes, and worth the extra effort of preparing the garlic cloves first.
Make and share this Garlic Lovers Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Bring some water to the boil and drop in the garlic.
- Boil for 2 minutes, drain and peel.
- Melt half the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat and add the garlic.
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan often.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender-15-20 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes, and return them to the pan with the remaining butter, salt and pepper.
- Mash the cooked garlic with a fork, and stir in the cream, heat this mixture, then beat it into the potato mix.
- Fold through most of the chives-reserving a few for garnish-and serve.
A must-add for the cookbooks of all garlaholics. While the garlic was cooking, I sauteed a chopped sweet onion until it was turning brown and mixed it in with the spuds. Delicioso!
Jan, my family seemed a little nervous as I was preparing this :) but it was loved by all. When I separated the garlic cloves, I didn't remove the stem end from each clove. That's the only thing I will do differently next time. The garlic was super easy to peel, but I still needed a knife for the ends. I love garlic, and this created a garlic butter rather than just boiling the garlic with the potatoes and then mashing. Delicious!
Jan, I made this for my "camping family". DH, Mom, 2 brothers, and 2 SILs (not The Siamese). I literally knocked their socks off on this one. Great recipe. Easy to make, smelled heavenly, and disappeared very fast. Traveling, I didnt have my herb garden, so I substituted the tops of green onions, finely minced. It worked out fine. Thanks for a great recipe. A keeper for sure!