One of my favourite mashes, and worth the extra effort of preparing the garlic cloves first.
Make and share this Garlic Lovers Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Bring some water to the boil and drop in the garlic.
- Boil for 2 minutes, drain and peel.
- Melt half the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat and add the garlic.
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan often.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender-15-20 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes, and return them to the pan with the remaining butter, salt and pepper.
- Mash the cooked garlic with a fork, and stir in the cream, heat this mixture, then beat it into the potato mix.
- Fold through most of the chives-reserving a few for garnish-and serve.
A must-add for the cookbooks of all garlaholics. While the garlic was cooking, I sauteed a chopped sweet onion until it was turning brown and mixed it in with the spuds. Delicioso!
Jan, my family seemed a little nervous as I was preparing this :) but it was loved by all. When I separated the garlic cloves, I didn't remove the stem end from each clove. That's the only thing I will do differently next time. The garlic was super easy to peel, but I still needed a knife for the ends. I love garlic, and this created a garlic butter rather than just boiling the garlic with the potatoes and then mashing. Delicious!
Jan, I made this for my "camping family". DH, Mom, 2 brothers, and 2 SILs (not The Siamese). I literally knocked their socks off on this one. Great recipe. Easy to make, smelled heavenly, and disappeared very fast. Traveling, I didnt have my herb garden, so I substituted the tops of green onions, finely minced. It worked out fine. Thanks for a great recipe. A keeper for sure!