Jen T's Note:
A nice light flavoured sponge to have for a change. This recipe comes from an old Australian Womans Day magazine (1969) and is still in my tried & true recipe collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour two 8-inch sponge sandwich tins.
- 2Set oven to 350°C/180°F.
- 3Beat egg whites until stiff in large bowl of electric mixer.
- 4Slowly add in sugar while beating and continue beating until the sugar is dissolved.
- 5Add egg yolks one at a time and beat until mixture is evenly coloured right through.
- 6Sift the dry ingredients together and lightly fold through using a metal spoon.
- 7Add hot water and lemon juice and fold in lightly.
- 8Pour evenly into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- 9Remove from oven and leave in tins for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- 10When cold join together with sweetened whipped cream and dust with icing sugar.
- 11*To make more special spread top with a thin layer of lemon icing/frosting and decorate with rosettes of whipped cream and pieces of preserved ginger.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Fluff Sponge Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.1
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 77.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: