Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A nice light flavoured sponge to have for a change. This recipe comes from an old Australian Womans Day magazine (1969) and is still in my tried & true recipe collection.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch sponge sandwich tins.
- Set oven to 350°C/180°F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff in large bowl of electric mixer.
- Slowly add in sugar while beating and continue beating until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add egg yolks one at a time and beat until mixture is evenly coloured right through.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and lightly fold through using a metal spoon.
- Add hot water and lemon juice and fold in lightly.
- Pour evenly into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- Remove from oven and leave in tins for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- When cold join together with sweetened whipped cream and dust with icing sugar.
- *To make more special spread top with a thin layer of lemon icing/frosting and decorate with rosettes of whipped cream and pieces of preserved ginger.