Jen T's Note:
A nice light flavoured sponge to have for a change. This recipe comes from an old Australian Womans Day magazine (1969) and is still in my tried & true recipe collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease and flour two 8-inch sponge sandwich tins.
- 2Set oven to 350°C/180°F.
- 3Beat egg whites until stiff in large bowl of electric mixer.
- 4Slowly add in sugar while beating and continue beating until the sugar is dissolved.
- 5Add egg yolks one at a time and beat until mixture is evenly coloured right through.
- 6Sift the dry ingredients together and lightly fold through using a metal spoon.
- 7Add hot water and lemon juice and fold in lightly.
- 8Pour evenly into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
- 9Remove from oven and leave in tins for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- 10When cold join together with sweetened whipped cream and dust with icing sugar.
- 11*To make more special spread top with a thin layer of lemon icing/frosting and decorate with rosettes of whipped cream and pieces of preserved ginger.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ginger Fluff Sponge Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.1
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.0 mg
- Sodium 77.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: