These were made last year for the Zaar gingerbread contest (http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=185564) and it's been a year since I got around to posting them. You may decorate them as you please or even leave them plain. I wrapped a few individually in clear wrap last year and gave a few away as little gifts. Recipe does not include 10 minutes chilling time.
- 125 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- prepared icing, comes in pre-made tubes for cake decoration (any colour)
- silver cachous (optional)
- licorice (optional)
- red-coloured marzipan (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Mark 4.
- Line three baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a microwave-proof bowl, heat butter, golden syrup and brown sugar for one minute until butter has melted. Stir. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda. Mix dried ingredients then pour in melted butter, golden syrup and sugar with dried ingredients. Then add egg and vanilla essence, mix everything well and then press together to form a dough. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 10 minutes.
- Knead dough lightly on a floured surface. Roll dough to a 5 mm thickness. Cut shapes with a ginger bread cutters.
- Place on greased trays. Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly brown. Remove from oven and allow them to cool down on trays before removing them.
- Once completely cooled, decorate gingerbread with prepared icing and silver cachous or what ever you please.
- You can decorate the gingerbread person with prepared icing and silver cachous or you can make a Santa suit with rolled out red marzipan and cut Santa boots from licorice.