1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
A good basic white gluten and lactose free bread recipe. I generally find that gluten free breads are best the day of baking. I prefer my GF breads as toast. To keep longer, slice and freeze with small squares of baking paper between each slice to stop them from freezing together. After toasting gluten-free bread place it onto paper towel or paper plate as the toast tends to steam and soften if placed directly onto a prcelain/china plates. Posted by request in forums. This is one of the breads from the cookbook sent to me from the Celiac Society. Measurements are Australian cups - 1 cup = 250mls and 1 tablespoon =4 teaspoons
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g rice flour, use a finely ground flour (2 cups)
- 50 g potato starch (1/2 cup) or 50 g use another 50 grams rice flour
- 75 g tapioca starch (1/2 cup) or 75 g arrowroot (1/2 cup)
- 55 g cornstarch (maize cornflour, 1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar (can also use molasses or honey)
- 1 tablespoon powdered egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 4 egg whites
- 60 ml vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 310 ml warm water (1 1/4 cups)
- 1Conventional Oven Directions:.
- 2Preheat oven to 180°C Grease a large loaf tin.
- 3Combine all dry ingredients and the yeast. Mix thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
- 4In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry mixed ingredients.
- 5Beat using a mixer for about 2 minutes.
- 6The appearance of the dough should be stiffer that a cake batter, but not as stiff as a cookie dough. If the dough appears to dry, add more liquid slowly -one tablespoon at a time to achieve the desired result.
- 7Place the dough in prepared loaf tin. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the loaf to rise to the top of the pan.
- 8Remove plastic and bake 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 9Bread Maker Directions:.
- 10Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 11In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients together.
- 12Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients and mix until only just combined. Do not overmix.
- 13Immediately place into the breadmaker and set on gluten-free bake. Gluten-free breads only need one rise and generally a short baking cycle. If your machine does not have a gluten-free setting the use a quickbreads or yeast free cycle. You may need to vary the cycle to suit. In general consider your first loaf as a test loaf.
- 14The quantities given will suit machines that take 3 cups of flour mix. For smaller loaves, simply cut the recipes down by one third.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten and Lactose Free White Bread - Oven or Bread Maker
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.4
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 938.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
powdered egg substitute