1/1 Photo of Gluten Free Anzac Biscuits – Rolled Oat Cookies
The Blender Girl's Note:
Anzac biscuits (or cookies, as they are called in The United States) are traditional sweet baked treats made in Australia and New Zealand. They are scrumptious, really easy to make, inexpensive; and are part of the baking repertoire of every self-respecting Aussie. They have become one of those iconic Australian foods; and unlike Vegemite – can be happily enjoyed by everyone the world over! I have modified my friend Pete’s recipe to make it a little more forgiving for us gluten-free pigs. I used rice flour, coconut sugar and maple syrup, instead of brown sugar, golden syrup and wheat flour. I have still used butter – you really need it for the depth of flavour. But you could use another natural granulated sugar of your choice if you can’t source coconut sugar. This nutritionally dense sweetener made from coconut palm blossoms is low GI, and has a rich toffee-like flavour that makes if perfect for replicating the quality of the golden syrup in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In the large mixing bowl or mixer combine oats, sifted flour, coconut sugar and coconut.
- 2In a small saucepan, combine the butter and maple syrup, and stir over a gentle heat until melted.
- 3Mix the baking soda with the boiling water in small bowl and add it into the melted butter mixture.
- 4Stir the butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
- 5Lightly grease two oven trays.
- 6Place tablespoons of the mixture onto the oven trays; allowing room for spreading.
- 7Cook in a slow oven for 20 minutes at 150 C / 300 F.
- 8Loosen while warm then cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Anzac Biscuits – Rolled Oat Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 70.1
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 8.9 mg
- Sodium 47.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: