Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This cake is very light but can also be used for other recipes such as trifles, swiss rolls and I even substitute it for lady fingers used in tiramisu.
- Sift cornflour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms a figure 8.
- Fold in the dry ingredients.
- Divide into 2 well greased 20 cm (8") sandwich pans.
- Bake at 180 C or 350 F for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
- When cool, top one with whipped cream and jam (jelly).
- Place the other on top and dust with icing sugar.
My first successful gluten free sponge cake (after many failures!) - a really easy recipe and light sponge. Lovely with fresh lemon icing. Seems to be keeping well in an air tight container. Not a standard tasting sponge, but still very tasty. Thank you, Abi
This is a great recipe- easy, with good results! I put most of the batter into muffin tins so I could have litte sponges for strawberry shortcake. Can't wait to use this for trifle, tiramisu, etc. Thank you!!