1/2 Photos of Gold Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Gold vegetable soup with red lentils added. I use butternut pumpkin, kumera and carrots. You can use any amounts of veges to your preference or whatever you have. The addition of carrots gives this soup a natural sweetness. A very easy soup to make with added protein. Nobody would guess that there are lentils in this soup-they just cook down and help to thicken the soup. To make this soup gluten free-ensure the stock used is labeled as GF. I use Massell brand as it is gluten free, lactose free and vegetarian. You really just cant go wrong making this soup-it's very easy to make. This does make a thick soup- so add some extra stock or water if you like a thinner style soup- add to your liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 kg butternut pumpkin, weighed before preparing (can use pumpkin of choice such as jap or kent varieties)
- 500 g kumara (gold sweet potato)
- 350 g carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups red lentils, washed
- 3 cups water, may need to add a little extra
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1Add the stock to a large cooking pot or boiler. Everything will be added to the pot as it is chopped/prepared.
- 2Cut pumpkin and kumera into chunks, no bigger than 2 inches square, removing any skin and seeds. Add to the pot.
- 3Peel and chop carrots and onion. Add to the pot.
- 4Wash and drain the lentils. Add to the pot.
- 5Add all remaining ingredients and some extra water if the veggies are not covered. You may need to add some more water or stock during the cooking- so just keep your eye on it. If there is not enough liquid the soup may stick to the bottom of your pot. (maybe not such a bad thing if you catch it in time. Once when I made this soup it had stuck to the bottom and tasted like it had roasted pumpkin in it).
- 6Bring to the boil, Boil for approx 30 minutes, or until the largest veggie pieces are soft when poked with a knife. Stir occasionally to ensure the lentils do not burn onto the bottom of the pot.
- 7Remove from heat and purée with either a stick blender used in the pot or by using a food processor. To make the soup thinner, just add some extra water or stock.
- 8Serve with a little sour cream and maybe a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gold Soup
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.3
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 84.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: