This is the best pineapple upside-down cake! My mother has the same recipe in a book from the 1970's and the same recipe is still available/posted on the Golden Circle website currently. Golden Circle is an Australian brand and canned from Australian grown products Sadly -this recipe I have not yet tried to make as gluten-free.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- PINEAPPLE LAYER:.
- Melt the butter and pour into the base of a 20cm round cake tin; also brush the butter around the sides of the tin.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the base of the tin. Arrange the pineapple rings (a flat single layer)in the tin and place a cherry into the centre of each ring.
- CAKE BATTER:.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and fold into the mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapple and cherries.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and loosen the cake from the sides of the tin.
- Invert the cake onto a serving plate. Enjoy either warm or cold.