Prep 4 mins
Cook 1 min
This is Chef floWers version of Spinach Gomae. It's a side dish I often ordered at my favourite Japanese restaurant (before it closed down.) I found a visual version on you tube and since I couldn't find a recipe on www.recipezaar.com I thought I would add it to Zaar's collection. We all love this salad and my daughter can eat the whole serving (if I let her). I often double the recipe, so she can have extra greens, well it worked for Popeye The Sailor Man. Ayyye
- Toast sesame seeds until slightly brown, you will smell the scent of the sesame seeds when it’s ready.
- Reserve small amount of the sesame seed for the garnish.
- Place the rest on a plate and crush (you could do this in a processor as well), then place in a bowl.
- Add water, soy, sugar into the bowl with the sesame seed. (If you are using the food processor then add these ingredients into the processor). Set aside until Spinach is ready.
- To cook the spinach: Add a pinch of salt into a pot of boiling hot water. Mix then add spinach for one minute (ONLY ONE MINUTE or the recipe is ruined).
- Pour the spinach and water into a colander and run cold tap water to cool down the spinach, this will stop it from cooking more.
- Squish the spinach with your hands, until all the moister is out of the spinach (you are only left with a small hand full of spinach).
- Cut spinach into strips (You could skip this part).
- Place spinach onto serving bowls and drizzle the dressing onto the spinach, then add reserved sesame seed as garnish.
- Enjoy Chef floWers Gomae - Japanese Style Spinach Salad.
- www dot recipezaar dot com.
Very good salad / side. The only change made was to stir fry spinach in a pan sprayed with Pam till wilted verses boiling and squeezing. Other then that made exactly as written. We like the balance of flavors and that it is light enough to go with almost anything. Thanks so much for the post.
I'm really hoping for a bumper crop of spinach this year, because I want to make this again & again. I think you're right, this makes just enough for 2 - and if you're a big gomae you could eat the entire batch (as I may have done...ahem). It's a 10 minute salad, and unlike some other gomae dressings I've tried, the sesame flavour is there, but not so strong that you miss out on everything else. Thanks!!
Aussie Swap#54 Delicious and unique!! I love spinach and this recipe is an awesome way to enjoy it!! Thank you for sharing!