I was looking for a mashed potato recipe on Zaar and couldn't find one. So here it is. We have mashed potatoes with casserole, stew or just as a side. Also being gluten-free I often use a gluten free pastry for the base of a pie and just top it with mash. You can use any quantity of potatoes, butter and milk/cream to your preferences.
- Peel and cut potatoes into approx equal size pieces.
- Add potatoes to a saucepan of boiling water and boil until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the saucepan.
- Use a masher or ricer to mash the potatoes with. The longer you mash the smoother it will be (I just hate it when my mash has lumps!).
- Add the butter and mash it into the potatoes until melted. Add the milk/cream and mash until a smooth consistency is achieved. Add more milk/cream if you would like a softer or sloppier mash.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can also mash in some softened onions, garlic or spring onions.
- You can also use sweet potato (kumara) or any variety of potato to make mash with.