A simpler and less expensive version of Gratin Dauphinois but a rich filling vegetable dish. Or can be served with a salad for lunch. If you are a garlic lover more cloves of garlic can be used. Cheddar cheese can be used instead of Gruyere cheese. Just put your own flair to this dish.
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly.
- Rub a shallow ovenproof dish with crushed garlic, then butter the dish generously.
- Arrange potato slices in layers in the dish.
- Scald milk and add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over potatoes in dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40 to 50 minutes until potatoes are tender and golden.
- Serve in the dish.
This recipe was easy to prepare, the ingredients are things I usually have on hand and the taste was fabulous! I did use 2 cloves of garlic and a blend of cheddar, mozarella and parmesan cheeses, simply because that's what I had on hand. I would recommend this to any one who enjoys potatoes!
Enjoyed my taters - great taste. Looked beaut to serve too. Cut the recipe in half, used 3 cloves of garlic and Leerdammer cheese (it's like a swiss but works great when baking etc), 2 % milk was fine. Took 35 minutes for half the recipe.. Thanks Chrissy-o
Creamy potatoes & cheese with the hint (well more than a hint from me) of garlic. I did put some crushed garlic into the potatoes as well as rubbing the dish with it as we love garlic. Another great keeper for my collection. Thanks Chrissy, :)