A simpler and less expensive version of Gratin Dauphinois but a rich filling vegetable dish. Or can be served with a salad for lunch. If you are a garlic lover more cloves of garlic can be used. Cheddar cheese can be used instead of Gruyere cheese. Just put your own flair to this dish.
- Peel potatoes and slice thinly.
- Rub a shallow ovenproof dish with crushed garlic, then butter the dish generously.
- Arrange potato slices in layers in the dish.
- Scald milk and add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over potatoes in dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 40 to 50 minutes until potatoes are tender and golden.
- Serve in the dish.