1 hr 20 mins
This is great picnic food, as it's good to eat hot or cold. An improvisation based on the fridge contents one day, this gets the green light (no pun intended) from my meat-eating hubby. You can substitute any veges you have on hand, and of course substitute homemade shortcrust pastry for the frozen - enough for one pie base and the lattice for the top. Cooking time includes pre-baking pastry base.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups green vegetables, chopped (eg. mix of asparagus, beans, celery, spinach, broccoli, capsicum etc)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 3/4 cup parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed (2nd sheet optional)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (extra)
- 1/4 cup soymilk or 1/4 cup cow milk (for brushing pastry lattice- optional)
- 1Gently saute onions in olive oil till soft, add green vegetables and cook till veges are tender but still a little crisp (about 10 mins).
- 2Meanwhile, trim one piece of pastry to fit pie plate and bake blind for approximately 15 mins at 200 degrees Celsius.
- 3Cool slightly.
- 4Beat eggs and yoghurt until creamy, add the 1/2 cup of parmesan, tamari and parsley.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Place cooked veges in pastry base.
- 7Pour egg mix over veges, sprinkle with extra parmesan.
- 8Use second sheet of pastry to create pastry lattice (brush with milk) or leave plain, as desired.
- 9Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 10 mins, reduce oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake for a further 25 minutes or until golden.
- 10Serve warm or cold.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Vegetable Pie
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.7
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 227.8 mg
- Sodium 769.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: