Wendys Kitchen's Note:
This is a recipe request published in Australian Gourmet Traveller from the restaurant Jonah's at Whale Beach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small lime
- 1/4 fresh coconut, flesh removed and finely grated
- 16 green king prawns, peeled and cleaned, leaving tails intact
- 16 betel leaves
- 50 g raw peanuts, roasted, shelled and coarsely chopped
- 2 red asian shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh red birds eye chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander, leaves picked and washed
- 1 bunch spearmint, leaves picked and washed
- 1For dressing, combine tamarind pulp and 100ml boiling water in a bowl and stand for 30 minutes. Place dried shrimp in a mortar and, using a pestle, pound until finely ground. Place ground shrimp, galangal, shrimp paste and palm sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until sugar melts.
- 2Increase heat to high and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until fragrant. Add tamarind mixture and fish sauce and return to the boil, then remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve and cool. Stir in enough cold water to achieve the consistency of pouring cream. Makes about 2/3 cup. Dressing will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 3 weeks.
- 3Using a small, sharp knife, remove rind from lime, leaving a small amount of flesh on the skin, then chop rind into 2mm pieces.
- 43 Place grated coconut on an oven tray and roast at 180C for 15 minutes, stirring frequently until golden.
- 54 Char-grill or barbecue prawns over medium-high heat until just cooked through. Place 4 betel leaves on each plate. Combine peanuts, shallots, chillies, chopped lime rind, coconut and herbs in a bowl, then add 2 tbsp dressing, or to taste, gently combine and divide salad among leaves. Top each leaf with a cooked prawn and serve immediately.
- 6Recipe by Richard Purdue (Jonah's, Whale Beach).
Browse Our Top Coconut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Coconut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled King Prawns With Coconut, Lime, Chilli and Galangal Dres
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.9
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 170.2 mg
- Sodium 528.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 28.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: