bluemoon downunder's Note:
A simple budget-conscious and yummy everyday recipe with no pretensions to sophistication, which I've adapted from an online recipe from the Australian magazine 'New Idea'. The recipe uses beef sausages, but obviously you could use your favourite sausages. You could also vary the capsicums (or peppers) and use more than one coloured pepper; and you could add a slice of onion onto the skewer. My personal preference is red peppers, but just go with your preference! Love the pesto and haloumi in this recipe! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 thick beef sausages
- 1 1/2 green capsicum or 1 1/2 red capsicums, cut into 24 pieces
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 (250 g) blocks halloumi cheese, cut into 24 cubes
- baby rocket or baby spinach leaves, to serve
- shaved parmesan cheese, to serve
- 1Cook the sausages in a saucepan of simmering water, uncovered, for 5 minutes; remove the sausages and cool for 5 minutes; cut each sausage into four even pieces.
- 2To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a jug and mix well.
- 3Alternating with each, thread three sausage pieces and two pieces each of capsicum, tomatoes and haloumi onto 12 skewers.
- 4Heat a large oiled (preferably non-stick) pan over a high heat; add the skewers; cook in batches, brushing with dressing and turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until browned and heated through.
- 5Arrange the haloumi, sausage and pesto skewers on baby rocket leaves or baby spinach leaves and top with shaved parmesan to serve.
- 6NOTE: Cooking the sausages in water before grilling or BBQing ensures that they don't burn on the outside before cooking all the way through. If you are using wooden skewers, pre-soak them in water.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Haloumi, Sausage and Pesto Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 31.3
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 0.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: