1/2 Photos of Hearty Vegetarian Corn Chowder
I bought some fresh corn at the supermarket, came home, had a quick think about it and whipped this yummy soup up in 30 minutes. I was a chef, so my prep might be a bit faster than many.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used low fat margarine which is half the calories)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, cut lenghtways, finely sliced in half moon
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegeatable instant bouillon granules (or to taste)
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook stirring about 5 minutes, stirring.
- 2Add the sweet potato, stir and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes, add in the corn and peas and cook a further 5 minutes with the lid on again.
- 3Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Add the milk and stir until boiling and smooth. You may need to add a little more milk or water depending on the size and amount of your vegetables.
- 5Add the remaining 4 ingredients and cook for a couple of minutes more, then serve.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetarian Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.8
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 116.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant bouillon granules
mixed Italian herbs