Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I bought some fresh corn at the supermarket, came home, had a quick think about it and whipped this yummy soup up in 30 minutes. I was a chef, so my prep might be a bit faster than many.
- 1 tablespoon butter (I used low fat margarine which is half the calories)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, cut lenghtways, finely sliced in half moon
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegeatable instant bouillon granules (or to taste)
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook stirring about 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the sweet potato, stir and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook for about 5 minutes, add in the corn and peas and cook a further 5 minutes with the lid on again.
- Sprinkle over the flour and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and stir until boiling and smooth. You may need to add a little more milk or water depending on the size and amount of your vegetables.
- Add the remaining 4 ingredients and cook for a couple of minutes more, then serve.
This is a very good chowder. I especially loved the vegetable variety! Thank you for creating a very pleasing and healthy recipe. :)
This is a very delicious chowder. I was home at 7.00 p.m. and had to feed the family and put Little Miss (DD) to bed by 8.00 p.m. So I used 550 grams frozen corn to cut my preparation time. I used lactose free milk so Little Miss could eat the chowder. It was full of flavour and a large bowl serving was perfect on its own for dinner. Thanks Jan for posting your recipe.
Delicious - very easy to make! Very filling - comfort food! Thank you Jan!