1/6 Photos of Hedgehog Biscuits
bluemoon downunder's Note:
Hedgehogs are simple, unbaked biscuits that have been around for generations: an Australian classic! And a great lunchbox, snack and afternoon tea favourite! Hedgehogs can be made with or without nuts. If omitting the nuts, use 1/2 cup extra of the biscuits. As an alternative, you can use almonds or walnuts. Adapted from a recipe from the Simply Great Meals Club website. 125 gms = 4 oz.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut
- 2 cups Marie biscuits (for Australians) or 2 cups graham crackers, broken into pieces (for Americans)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- 2Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the sifted icing sugar and cocoa, and mix well.
- 3Stir in the beaten egg, and return the pan to the heat and stir until the mixture boils.
- 4Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the coconut, biscuit pieces and nuts. The biscuits are generally broken into pieces about the size of a hazelnut, but some larger pieces is fine, and the pieces certainly don't have to all be the same size!
- 5Spoon the mixture into a baking paper lined 18cm x 28cm (approximately 7" x 11") slice pan and press down firmly.
- 6Icing the Hedgehogs: Melt the dark chocolate, milk chocolate and copha together in a microwave-safe bowl or jug in a microwave oven on a Medium setting for approximately 2 minutes; stir well, pour - and spread evenly - over the hedgehog base.
- 7Chill to set.
- 8Once chilled, cut into 24 slices. Or larger or smaller slices if you wish!
- 9Notes: For extra flavour, add 1/4 cup of sultanas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hedgehog Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (657 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.8
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 9.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: