2 hrs 20 mins
I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg lamb, cubed
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup leek, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup verjus
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock, reduced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon mint jelly
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 lemon, rind
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup parsnip, diced
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1/2 cup mint relish
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup chat potato, diced and parboiled
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry, cut into 8 equal squares, follow directions to bake
- mint relish, extra to garnish
- rosemary sprig, to garnish
- 1Toss cubed lamb in flour seasoned generously with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat equal quantities of oil and butter in pan and lightly brown lamb, then transfer to a large heave based pot.
- 3Saute onions, leeks and garlic in same frying pan used for browning lamb.
- 4Add red wine to deglaze pan (you can leave the veggies in the pot to do this) then add to the large pot.
- 5Add verjus, stock, tomato paste, mint jelly, brown sugar, lemon rind, worcestershire sauce. Simmer on low heat 1-2 hours or until lamb becomes tender, stirring occasionally.
- 6Then add carrots, potatoes, parsnips, apple, mint relish, rosemary, mint and parsley.
- 7Simmer for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and the peas and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- 8To finish, place pie mix into serving bowls topping each with a square of baked pastry.
- 9Garnish with 1 teaspoon of mint relish (optional) and a sprig of rosemary.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for High Country Pie
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.2
- Calories from Fat 510
- Total Fat 56.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 98.1 mg
- Sodium 808.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 33.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper