Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We had this for dinner the other night and it was really nice. Quick and easy too! Please allow one hour for the chicken to marinate.
- 800 g chicken breasts, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 10 cm fresh lemongrass, chopped finely
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 fresh long red Thai chile, chopped finely (used 1 teaspoon of chilli from a jar)
- 1 medium red capsicum, sliced thinly
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- Combine chicken with half the garlic, 1 teaspoon of the five-spice powder and all the lemon grass and ginger in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat half the oil in wok and stir-fry the onion, chilli, capsicum and remaining garlic until onion softens. Remove from wok.
- Heat remaining oil in wok and stir-fry the chicken in batches until cooked.
- Return the onion mix and chicken to wok with sauce, rind, juice and remaining five-spice. Stir-fry until sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and toss through coriander. Sprinkle with fried shallots and green onion.
We loved this. Great to have a new stir fry recipe to add to our repetoire.
This has a sort of Indonesian flavor to me, with the lemongrass and hoisin sauce having a tangy taste similar to tamarind. It was easy to make and we did enjoy. Thanks for posting.