All will be blown away with the home style flavours of this savory chicken pie. Add your favourite vegetables for a complete nutritious meal! For some reason it will not let me include the important step of 3 sheets of frozen short crust pastry in the ingredients, so I am adding a note here!
- Preheat oven to 200 C/400 F lijne base of a 25cm pie dish with 2 of the pastry sheets.
- refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- line with baking paper and fill with rice and blind bake for 10 minutes.
- Place remaining pastry sheet on a lightly floured board, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Meanwhile place chicken in a large saucepan; add water to cover, bring to boil 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- drain and cool and shred chicken.
- heat butter in frypan and add onion, cook 3 minutes stirring.
- whisk in flour and thyme, cook stirring 3 minutes.
- add stock and cream.
- whisk until thickened, 3 - 4 minutes.
- remove from the heat and stir in vegetables and shredded chicken, season.
- spoon the filling into the prepared pasty shell.
- arrange 6 pastry strips in the same direction onj top of the pie, twisting the pastry dough.
- Arrange the remaining strips crosswise on the top.
- fold the edges under and crimp to seal.
- Beat egg yolk and water. Brush the pastry lightly with egg mixture.
- Place pie on ojn a a baking sheet and cook until golden on top and bubbling inside, about 45 minutes.