Yum. Love these. Kids love them too. I like the fact that you can do two flavours. The tomato sauce is made from scratch and is an optional condiment.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g cooked desiree potatoes, peeled and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 (95 g) can sweet corn
- 1 cup of cooked broccoli floret
- 1 (95 g) can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 small cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- oil, for shallow frying
- fresh tomato sauce (if you so desire)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, skinned and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (400 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1Combine mashed potatoes, eggs, sweet corn and broccoli and mix well. Divide mixture into two small bowls.
- 2Fold tuna into one of the bowls and chicken into the other; mix well.
- 3Dust hands with flour and shape mixture into 5cm balls.
- 4Roll balls through the remaining flour, shaking off excess and then dip into whisked eggs.
- 5Finally pass through the cornflakes to coat evenly. Press down gently to form a disc shape.
- 6Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat and cook hot cakes for 2 minutes each side until crispy and golden.
- 7Remove and drain on paper towel.
- 8For the tomato sauce: Heat oil in the pan and cook onion for 1-2 minutes or until softened.
- 9Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a further 5 mins; add sugar and vinegar and mix well. Stir in canned tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 10Mix cornflour and water together to form a paste and add to tomato sauce; bring to the boil and cook until sauce is thickened.
- 11Cool mixture slightly and puree with a stick blender until smooth.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Potato Cakes With a Twist, and Fresh Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 135.3 mg
- Sodium 399.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 24.7 g