Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Australian Good Taste - An Australian cup is 250ml.
Make and share this Hot & Sour Chilli Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
- 120 g long fresh red chilies, coarsely chopped
- 100 g long fresh yellow chiles, coarsely chopped
- 3 fresh red bird's eye chilies, coarsely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cm galangal, peeled, thinly sliced
- Combine the water, vinegar and sugar in a large heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Place the chillies, garlic and galangal in the bowl of a food processor. Briefly process until coarsely chopped and combined. Add the vinegar mixture and process until well combined.
- Transfer to a clean, large heavy-based saucepan and stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until hot. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool. Transfer to an airtight container and use as desired.
- Notes & tips:.
- This chilli sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Serve it as a dipping sauce with roast sweet potato (kumara), pumpkin and potato wedges, drizzle over steamed Asian greens, serve with chargrilled salmon and prawns or roasted chicken, or use in salad dressings and sauces.