bluemoon downunder's Note:
A deliciously decadent dessert considerably adapted from one of Huey's recipes. Vary the nuts according to what you have on hand and your taste preferences. You may want to match it with your icecream or you may prefer the mix and match approach! if using the optional chocolate, again it's up to you if you use dark, milk or white chocolate. And if it's more convenient, you may want to use chocolate chips. The cooking time below does not include the 1-2 hours freezing time. I've included the option of using white bread and adding thin slices of strawberries, as you may want to highlight the other flavours and not have the fruit in the fruit loaf dominate. Have fun: choosing your options and eating these sandwiches as a dessert or a snack!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 8 slices fruit bread or 8 slices white bread, cut into thick slices
- 4 scoops ice cream, any flavour, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chocolate, grated (optional)
- 6 strawberries, hulled and finely sliced (optional)
- 1Beat together the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- 2Dip the slices of bread into the egg mixture and then cook on a lightly oiled grill for about 45 seconds on each side; set aside to cool. Alternatively, you can panfry the slices of bread (preferably in a non-stick pan) in a little oil with about a teaspoon of unsalted butter; add more olive oil and butter if necessary but you shouldn't need to add much more if you're using a non-stick pan.
- 3When the bread has cooled, place a scoop of ice cream on a piece of bread, spreading it out across the slice; scatter with a quarter of the pecans and a quarter of the grated chocolate or a quarter of the strawberry slices; top with another piece of bread, press down and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Then repeat the process and freeze the sandwiches for 1-2 hours.
- 4Unwrap the sandwiches and serve them as a snack or as a dessert.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huey's French Toast Ice Cream Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.8
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 70.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: