Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A nicely spiced red lentil soup by NZ TV "chef" Huey
Make and share this Huey's Red Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small red chilies, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 liters vegetables (may need a little more) or 1 1⁄2 liters chicken stock (may need a little more)
- 200 g red lentils, rinsed picked over
- sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Greek yogurt, to serve
- Heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently saute the garlic, carrot, celery, onion, chillies and ginger until softish.
- Add the fennel and cumin seeds, together with the curry powder. Stir well and cook to toast the spices.
- Then add 1½ litres stock, the lentils and a good pinch of salt. Mix and cook for about 20 mins until everything is tender, adding more stock if needed.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander. Stir and taste for seasoning.
- Serve in individual bowls with a sprinkling of plain yoghurt on top, if you like.
I recently discovered red lentil soup, and enjoy it for taste and quickness of cooking. This recipe did not disappoint! It's seasonings were unique and very flavorful. I did not add the lemon or yogurt, since I ate all my portion before I remembered! I made this recipe exactly as posted, and will be enjoying it again. Made for Aussie/NZ Swap.