A nicely spiced red lentil soup by NZ TV "chef" Huey
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small red chilies, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 liters vegetables (may need a little more) or 1 1/2 liters chicken stock (may need a little more)
- 200 g red lentils, rinsed picked over
- sea salt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Greek yogurt, to serve
- 1Heat a little oil in a heavy-bottomed pot and gently saute the garlic, carrot, celery, onion, chillies and ginger until softish.
- 2Add the fennel and cumin seeds, together with the curry powder. Stir well and cook to toast the spices.
- 3Then add 1½ litres stock, the lentils and a good pinch of salt. Mix and cook for about 20 mins until everything is tender, adding more stock if needed.
- 4Add the lemon juice and coriander. Stir and taste for seasoning.
- 5Serve in individual bowls with a sprinkling of plain yoghurt on top, if you like.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huey's Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (108 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.0
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 23.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: