Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I haven't tried these yet, but from the reviews on taste.com.au people say that they make 6 BIG Texas-style muffins, so I say it would make 6-9 muffins, depending on the size you want. You could substitute Raspberry or Blueberry jam. TIP: to make things a bit easier, put the jam in a squeeze bottle for less mess. Source: Delicious magazine July 2002
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 6-hole muffin pan.
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl, then add a pinch of salt and the caster sugar.
- In a jug, combine the vegetable oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Add to the dry mixture and stir to only just combine. Place a spoonful of the mixture in each muffin hole and make an indent in the centre. Fill each indent with a generous 1/2 teaspoon of strawberry jam.
- Cover the jam with the remaining muffin mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter.
- Combine the extra sugar and the cinnamon in a large bowl.
- When the muffins are cool enough to handle, brush each muffin with the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve while still a little warm.