Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My neighbours recipe, it's too good. When she served it to us, we couldn't stop eating it even though we had mains following! Serving size depends on how greedy you are!
- Heat the butter in a small pan.
- Fry the onion 'til softened.
- Transfer to a microwave proof bowl and mix with all the other ingredients.
- Microwave on medium to warm a little (about 5 minutes).
- This is not really necessary but speeds thing up.
- Meanwhile remove a "lid" from the bread loaf, and remove the centre to create a bowl. We cut the removed piece into chunks, and bake for about 5 minutes alongside the bowl to use as dippers.
- Place the bowl in a moderate oven for about 5 minutes.
- Remove and fill with the mixture, grate some extra cheese over if you wish, and return to the oven to heat through 'til hot and bubbling (about 30minutes).
- My neighbour sometimes substitutes bacon for the ham, or adds pineapple.
- I think you could add diced capsicum for colour too.
Delicious and very easy appetizer. I used lower fat cheese & sour cheese and it still came out rich, creamy and was enjoyed by all tasters. My guests couldn't get enough of this dip-it was a big hit. Thanks!