1/2 Photos of Kangaroo and Beer Pie with Damper Pastry
3 hrs 10 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
This was in our Age Sunday supplement. I'm posting it in honour of Australia Day, but have to admit I personally couldn't eat kangaroo meat and would make it with lamb or beef! Prep time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 800 g kangaroo steak, cut into 2 cm cubes
- olive oil
- 250 g button mushrooms, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 1/4 cups beer (like Guinness)
- 1 cup reduced beef stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1Preheat the oven to 190C.
- 2To make the damper pastry, combine flour baking powder and salt, then rub in the butter by hand.
- 3Or place flour, baking powder and salt in your food processor and pulse to sift, then add the butter, and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- 4Add milk and mix (either by hand or in the processor) until the dough leaves the side of the bowl.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile season the flour with salt and pepper and toss the kangaroo cubes gently to coat with the flour.
- 7Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and brown the meat in batches, remove and set aside.
- 8Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 9Add the meat, beer and stock and bring to the boil.
- 10Reduce heat, half cover pan and simmer for 90 minutes.
- 11Set aside to cool.
- 12Adjust seasoning, stir in the marjoram and transfer mixture to a pie dish or tin.
- 13Roll out damper pastry until 4mm thick and place over meat to form a secure lid.
- 14Press pastry edges down with fingertips to secure and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 15Pierce pastry with a knife four times then bake pie for 25-30 minutes until damper crust is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Wild Game Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Wild Game Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kangaroo and Beer Pie with Damper Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.9
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.5 mg
- Sodium 771.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: