Cook2 hrs 30 mins
An amazingly flavoursome dish. People who normally don't like the flavour of roo will like this one. The meat is wonderfully tender and the gravy rich. If roo isn't available use beef, which the CSIRO recipe originally used. A good full-bodied wine is required. Australian measurements used.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 200 g field mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g kangaroo fillets, diced in 2cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (400 g) candiced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, seeded & sliced (pepper)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C (340 deg F).
- In a large, heavy-based frying pan heat 2 teaspoons of oil over high heat. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to a large, ovenproof dish (with lid).
- Add flour to a plastic bag & season lightly. Add the meat to the flour, seal bag and shake until all the meat is coated. Heat remaining oil in frypan and cook meat, in batches, until well browned. Transfer to dish with onion mixture.
- To the frying pan add tomato, wine, stock and capsicum and gently bring to a boil. Scape up any bits of meat stuck to bottom of pan. Now add this to the casserole dish.
- Gently combine mixture in casserole dish then cover and transfer to oven for between 1.5 hours (kangaroo) - 2 hours (beef). Remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- To serve add herbs and seasoning to taste.
This was a fantastic dish! I had some leftover kangaroo and wanted something warming on a cold night - this fit the bill perfectly! It ended up being enough for 6 serves for us, so I froze some and it reheated wonderfully. I also found that a little sour cream and some crusty bread finished it off perfectly.
Fantastic! I only used around 500g of roo fillets but used the full amount of everything else and served over a little pasta it made a wonderful dish for two.
This was really nice.