1/2 Photos of Kangaroo Casserole
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
An amazingly flavoursome dish. People who normally don't like the flavour of roo will like this one. The meat is wonderfully tender and the gravy rich. If roo isn't available use beef, which the CSIRO recipe originally used. A good full-bodied wine is required. Australian measurements used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 200 g field mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800 g kangaroo fillets, diced in 2cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 red capsicum, seeded & sliced (pepper)
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1Preheat oven to 170 deg C (340 deg F).
- 2In a large, heavy-based frying pan heat 2 teaspoons of oil over high heat. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until soft. Transfer to a large, ovenproof dish (with lid).
- 3Add flour to a plastic bag & season lightly. Add the meat to the flour, seal bag and shake until all the meat is coated. Heat remaining oil in frypan and cook meat, in batches, until well browned. Transfer to dish with onion mixture.
- 4To the frying pan add tomato, wine, stock and capsicum and gently bring to a boil. Scape up any bits of meat stuck to bottom of pan. Now add this to the casserole dish.
- 5Gently combine mixture in casserole dish then cover and transfer to oven for between 1.5 hours (kangaroo) - 2 hours (beef). Remove lid and cook for a further 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- 6To serve add herbs and seasoning to taste.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kangaroo Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.9
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 236.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: