Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kangaroo has a great flavour and doesn't need much cooking so I thought I'd try and come up with a quick one pot curry dish that wouldn't overpower it and was nice and creamy. It's still reasonably strong however - if you like really mild curries try a teaspoon of curry powder and a teaspoon of flour instead.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and sautee onion and garlic until onion is turning soft.
- Add curry powder and cubes of kangaroo meat and toss around for about a minute until it's really lightly browned on the outside.
- Add coconut milk and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce remperature slightly, stirring occasionally for around 30 minutes until the curry has thickened and the roo is cooked. You want it to be bubbling away, but not boiling hard.
- I didn't but if after around 30 minutes it is thinner than you would like stir through a little flour to thicken.
- Leave to cool 5 minutes and serve over mashed potatoes.
Kangaroo meat is not readily available in the U.S. so I used cubed beef instead. I also added some potatoes and carrots that needed to be used up. The end result was fantastic. The whole house smelled soooooooo good while this was cooking. The coconut milk gave this dish a hint of sweetness. I served over rice instead of mashed potatoes. Leftovers were even better the next day. Thanks for another great recipe, Peter. Made for September 2012 Aus/NZ Swap.
Made this for Hubby and Little Miss (DD) and they both enjoyed the curry. It was very easy to put together, for those who don't know Roo meat is high in protein and low in fat so it makes a health meal. Hubby said the flavours excellent. Served it on mash potatoes and made a complete meal. Thank you again for another easy meal Peter