Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a moist kedgeree, more like a mornay with rice I guess. It makes a nice dish for lunch or dinner with a salad. It's tasty and a good if you are on a tight budget!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 425 g tuna, drained
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup grated cheese, I would use a sharp cheddar
- Pre heat oven to 190c.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until the vegetables are softened (5-8 minutes).
- Stir in the curry powder and flour and cook for further minute.
- Add the milk and whisk briskly until thickened and smooth. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir the tuna, cooked rice and lemon juice through the sauce, then transfer mix to an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the grated cheese and cook in oven until golden brown and bubbling-about 30 minutes.