From the Australian Women's Weekly Gluten-free and Allergy-free cookbook. Haven't tried so times are as per recipe in cookbook. After first two reviews I have changed the cooking times, hopefully they will reflect the right timing.
- 1 2⁄3 cups gluten-free self-raising flour (225 grams)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 20 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup kumara (cooked, cold and mashed finely)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (125ml)
- 2 tablespoons water (approximately)
- 2 teaspoons milk (approximately)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free self-raising flour (extra)
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan forced.
- Oil a flat baking/cookie tray/sheet.
- Sift dry ingredient into a large bowl and rub in the butter till you have a fine breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the kumara, buttermilk and enough of the water to mix to a soft sticky dough and then transfer dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into rounds and placed on oiled tray.
- Cut a cross through the top of the dough about 5mm deep.
- Brush tops with milk and then dust with extra flour.
- Bake dampers for about 20 to 25 minutes.