1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
From Australian chef Kylie Kwong's hit TV show...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 kg free-range chicken
- 1/2 bunch tarragon
- 4 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
- 100 g unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 whole garlic head
- 10 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 medium kipfler potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 5 small golden shallots, unpeeled but cut in half
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch cracked white pepper
- sourdough bread, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (450°F).
- 2Rinse chicken under cold water.
- 3Trim away excess fat from inside and outside cavity, but keep neck, parson's nose and winglets intact.
- 4Tuck wing tips under chicken.
- 5Place chicken in roasting tin, breast-side up.
- 6Place tarragon and half the rosemary inside the chicken cavity.
- 7Using your hands, carefully separate the skin from the meat over the breast and thighs of the chicken.
- 8Place the butter between the skin and the meat, spreading it evenly under the skin.
- 9Lightly crush unpeeled garlic cloves and scatter over chicken with bay leaves, salt and remaining rosemary.
- 10Place carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes and shallots around chicken, then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- 11Cover roasting dish with foil and roast for 35 minutes.
- 12Remove from oven and lower the temperature to 180°C (350°F).
- 13Take off foil and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- 14To test chicken, insert a skewer into the thigh and press against the meat- it is cooked when the juices run clear.
- 15The skin should be crisp and lightly browned.
- 16Remove chicken from oven, cover with foil and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- 17Remove chicken from tin and serve with the roast vegetables and some crusty sourdough bread.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kylie Kwong's Radical Roast Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1306.0
- Calories from Fat 855
- Total Fat 95.0 g
- Saturated Fat 31.5 g
- Cholesterol 335.0 mg
- Sodium 2086.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 73.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: