Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 500 g diced lamb
- 1 (425 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (300 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan, and cook the onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute or until aroma is released.
- Add the lamb and brown well, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock and juice.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and cook for 1 hour or until the lamb is tender.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the herbs and pepper and serve.
This was a great recipe to start from, I changed it a bit and it came out great. I used baby dark chickpeas, veggie broth, added about two teaspoons garam masala, omitted the mint and chopped coriander, added two celery stalks and one red bell pepper both finely chopped, and I swapped the onion for about a cup of Shallots. Salted to taste and it was AWESOME, Thanks a million!
Delicious, not spicy but very warming. Would be good with a big hunk of crusty bread or garlic bread. I'll make this again.