Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 30 mins
Lamb Forequarter Casserole. This casserole is so yummy! The trick is to cook it slowly for at least two and a half hours. It can also be done in the slow cooker. The lamb just falls off the bone when it is done correctly. Warning...if it is not cooked long enough the lamb will be tough! I always taste the sauce after an hour and a half to see if it needs anything added. I hope you enjoy this. By the way the recipe only allows me to put the chops as shoulders but I buy them labeled forequarters.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly seal the lamb forequarter pieces with some oil in a large frying pan and then remove from the pan.
- Using same pan add onion, garlic and carrot and lightly fry until onions are clear.
- Add the tomato base (pasta sauce), stock and water and stir. Add oregano, salt and paper. Add the lamb forequarter pieces again and mix through.
- Remove from heat and transfer into casserole dish.
- Add peas.
- Add more water and tomato base (pasta sauce) if needed. The lamb forequarters should be almost covered.
- Bake in oven for at least two and a half to three hours at 180°C Check after one and a half hours, stir through, add water/base if necessary.
- Serve with boiled potatoes.