Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is from Delicious magazine. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. Serve with steamed rice and naan bread.
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed to release seeds
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 -8 small red chilies (or to taste)
- 100 g cottage cheese
- 200 g tomatoes, chopped
- coriander sprig, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix fresh ginger, garlic, turmeric and bay leaves in a large bowl.
- Add lamb, toss to coat well, then stand at room temperature while you make the sauce.
- Grind fennel and cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring for 6 minutes or until softened.
- Add all ground spices and stir for a further 5 minutes or until the mixture is aromatic.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then puree to a coarse paste in a blender or processor with chilli, cheese, tomatoes and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Place lamb and its spice mix in a heavy-based, lidded casserole or large saucepan.
- Add the paste and enough water to cover meat (about 300ml).
- Stir to combine, then cover surface closely with a sheet of wet baking paper and foil to hold moisture.
- Cover with the lid, then bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours, stirring from time to time, until the lamb is very tender.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.
Yum - this was lovely! I used diced lamb as that's what I had on hand, and cooked on a really low heat. I also browned the lamb before adding the paste and water. Thanks for sharing a great recipe (had missed this in Delicious!)
This is one of those recipes that I am so pleased to have found - totally gorgeous, creamy curry with a great cut of lamb, we love shanks! I made this for a party that we went to last weekend, and increased the quantities to serve 8 people. I have had requests from ALL the ladies present for the recipe - so thanks for making me so popular Jewelies! Sorry for the lateness in making this - this is for the Aussie/NZ recipe swap! Made exactly as posted with increased quantities - I personally would NOT change a thing!