1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is from Delicious magazine. I haven't tried it yet but will soon. Serve with steamed rice and naan bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 1/4 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed to release seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 -8 small red chilies (or to taste)
- 100 g cottage cheese
- 200 g tomatoes, chopped
- coriander sprig, to garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Mix fresh ginger, garlic, turmeric and bay leaves in a large bowl.
- 3Add lamb, toss to coat well, then stand at room temperature while you make the sauce.
- 4Grind fennel and cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- 5Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring for 6 minutes or until softened.
- 6Add all ground spices and stir for a further 5 minutes or until the mixture is aromatic.
- 7Set aside to cool slightly, then puree to a coarse paste in a blender or processor with chilli, cheese, tomatoes and remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
- 8Place lamb and its spice mix in a heavy-based, lidded casserole or large saucepan.
- 9Add the paste and enough water to cover meat (about 300ml).
- 10Stir to combine, then cover surface closely with a sheet of wet baking paper and foil to hold moisture.
- 11Cover with the lid, then bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours, stirring from time to time, until the lamb is very tender.
- 12Garnish with coriander and serve.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shank Rogan Josh
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 855.5
- Calories from Fat 483
- Total Fat 53.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 246.9 mg
- Sodium 289.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 76.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: