1/2 Photos of Lamb Shank Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
This is my mum's recipe, which I made just recently. My son's girlfriend wanted the recipe, so I figure this is the easiest way to give it to her! If you like hearty old-fashioned soup, this is a good stick-to-your-ribs one! Cook time includes making the stock, then next day, the soup, but not the sitting overnight!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 -5 stalks parsley
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1STOCK: Place all the ingredients for the stock in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- 2Bring to the boil, then reduce to a very low simmer and cook for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender enough to fall off the bones.
- 3Strain, reserving the liquid and meat and discarding the vegetables.
- 4Shred the meat and refrigerate.
- 5Cool overnight, refrigerate, then remove the fat from the top of the stock and discard the following day.
- 6SOUP: Place all the ingredients (except the shredded, reserved meat) for the soup in a large stockpot.
- 7Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour, or until the soup mix is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 8Season well to taste, add the reserved meat and heat through well.
- 9Serve with crusty buttered bread!
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shank Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3846 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.3
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 290.5 mg
- Sodium 1680.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 89.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: