Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I spent a day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entrance (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 ml white wine
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive tapenade (heaped or to taste)
- 8 black olives
- 4 medium tomatoes, oven roasted
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Trim shanks, cut away fat and skin.
- Marinate with thyme, pepper and olive oil for several hours or overnight.
- Season shanks and brown in a heavy based pot with olive oil. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by about 1/2. Add tomatoes and vegetables, then add stock.
- Bring to the boil and add garlic and bay leaves. Check seasonings.
- Cook gently 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender and falling from the bone.
- Remove the shanks. Blend the sauce until smooth, check seasonings and consistency (may need more stock).
- Just before serving add the tapenade to the sauce.
- Place shanks in four bowls, ladle over the sauce and garnish with olives and oven roasted tomatoes and sprinkle with gremolata.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
- For gremolata combine lemon, parsley and garlic in a bowl.