2 hrs 20 mins
I spent a day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entrance (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 ml white wine
- 6 tomatoes, skinned and diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive tapenade (heaped or to taste)
- 8 black olives
- 4 medium tomatoes, oven roasted
- 1Trim shanks, cut away fat and skin.
- 2Marinate with thyme, pepper and olive oil for several hours or overnight.
- 3Season shanks and brown in a heavy based pot with olive oil. Deglaze with white wine and reduce by about 1/2. Add tomatoes and vegetables, then add stock.
- 4Bring to the boil and add garlic and bay leaves. Check seasonings.
- 5Cook gently 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender and falling from the bone.
- 6Remove the shanks. Blend the sauce until smooth, check seasonings and consistency (may need more stock).
- 7Just before serving add the tapenade to the sauce.
- 8Place shanks in four bowls, ladle over the sauce and garnish with olives and oven roasted tomatoes and sprinkle with gremolata.
- 9Serve with mashed potatoes.
- 10For gremolata combine lemon, parsley and garlic in a bowl.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks in Olive Infused Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1066 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1172.0
- Calories from Fat 555
- Total Fat 61.7 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 370.7 mg
- Sodium 728.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 116.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of