1/1 Photo of Lamb Shanks in Spiced Potato and Pea Broth
1 hr 40 mins
Lamb Shanks are a favourite with us. Make sure they are cooked to falling off the bone-I hate wrestling with a shank!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 cm fresh ginger, 5cm piece, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 7 cm cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 small red potatoes, skin on, halved
- 1 cup peas, fresh or 1 cup peas, frozen
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium high heat. Add the lamb shanks and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Remove to a plate.
- 2Heat the oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for 3 minutes or until the onion softens.
- 3Add the cumin, saffron and cinnamon and cook, stirring for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- 4Return the lamb shanks to the pan and add the water and stock.
- 5Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 1 hour.
- 6Add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes, then add the peas and cook a further 10 minutes.
- 7Remove from the heat and stir in the mint and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Using tongs, carefully remove the shanks to shallow serving bowls and ladle the hot broth and vegetables over.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Shanks in Spiced Potato and Pea Broth
Serving Size: 1 (926 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 961.1
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 245.7 mg
- Sodium 418.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 83.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: