1/1 Photo of Lamb's Fry and Bacon
Peter J's Note:
Recipe that's a combination of some useful ideas I got from a post in the Aus/NZ forums along with a few ideas from recipes found on the web. If you don't have access to Vegemite try black sauce (thanks mummamills for that and more!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place lamb liver in a small bowl, sprinkle with sea salt, cover with water and refrigerate for a few hours.
- 2Peel skin off lamb's fry and remove any other pieces of tissue, slice and lightly coat with the flour. I normally like to cut any long strips in half again so they're bite size.
- 3Remove excess fat and rind from the bacon and chop coarsely. Leave a bit of streaky fat on the bacon, it adds to the flavour.
- 4Melt butter in a frypan, add bacon and onion and fry around 8-10 minutes over medium to high temperature until onion is soft and bacon is fairly well cooked but not crisp.
- 5Add lamb's fry and lightly fry a few minutes turning often to brown evenly, you don't need to cook it through at this stage.
- 6Blend water, vegemite and cornflour and add to the pan and mix through well.
- 7Bring to a gentle boil, reduce temperature to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so. It may take a little more time but you want a fairly thick gravy runs a little slowly off a spoon.
- 8Serve with mashed potatoes or it's also good re-heated and served on toast for breakfast.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb's Fry and Bacon
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.0
- Calories from Fat 278
- Total Fat 30.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 503.6 mg
- Sodium 2432.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 34.1 g